Meganika is a new start-up which is delivering small scale, on-client-site, waste-to-energy processing plants, delivering these to our clients via a SMME entrepreneur network. Our first product is a patented wood gasifier, where we are targeting (processed) wood manufacturers (e.g. MDF, Melamine), converting their waste wood into electricity. This product creates 1-2 (operator) jobs per machine placed, allowing our clients to convert their own waste product to electricity, obviously saving them money, and making them more competitive and sustainable. Meganika’s products will primarily be delivered as a service, to reduce risk and up-front cost for our clients, but also to increase the technology operational performance to our clients.
WHAT WE DO
We help our clients to address their waste problems, turning waste from a problem into an asset, from a cost into an income.
THREE SYMBIOTIC OPERATIONAL MODELS
1. Waste Producer
- The Waste Producer will processes his/her own waste into energy on site.
- This might take the form of ownership of a machine and own operation or renting a machine from Meganika and own operation, or even a fully serviced model, where the waste producer pays a service fee for waste processing.
- The use of a machine at a waste producer will create 2 operators jobs per machine and they will be engaged up to 50% of the time depending on the specific machine and operational requirements. The wages of these operators are included in the business profitability model.
2. Waste Management Company
- In this operational model a Waste Management Company will process waste from its clients at its own works or a conveniently selected location.
- The waste management company can source multiple relevant waste streams and bring the waste to a single suitable machine which is installed at a convenient location.
- The machine can supply energy to a 3rd party customer that does not have a waste stream but does have an energy requirement.
- The waste management company can reduce/eliminate their gate-fees, and ideally the selection of the machine installation location will facilitate the reduction in logistics (trucking) costs for the waste management company, allowing potential saving to their customers or increased profits for themselves.
3. SMME as a Service Provider
- There is an opportunity for a SMME Business owner to own and operate a machine for interested waste producers.
- The SMME business can source waste from multiple parties and place the machine at a 3rd party energy consumer for operation.
- Alternatively the SMME business owner can operate the machine at the waste producer on behalf of the waste producer, having the benefit of no logistics requirement for the SMME or the waste producer. And allowing the waste producer to contract the waste processing service without having to operate the machine.
- There are additional funding models available in South Africa for any potential SMME business establishment (e.g. SABRI). The use of a Meganika machine for the establishment of small businesses is ideal.
SMME OWNER / OPERATOR OF MACHINES
Meganika machines are ideal for SMME owners as a way of running a small green technology service operation to waste producers.
Meganika will offer two options for SMME owners: Machine purchase or Business Incubation.
The purchase of a Meganika machine will be a capital expense purchase for the SMME and will include operational and maintenance training on the machine.
- Alternatively Meganika will offer prospective SMME owners employment and “incubation” on the job in the form of technical and operational training, readying the prospective SMME owner for the ownership and management of the waste to energy SMME service business.
- Meganika will promote excellence in operations by offering incentive feedbacks to its network of SMME service businesses.
- Meganika will promote forward and backward integration into the client, as a way of offering better service to the client, and business growth for the SMME owner.
- Once the business is established the SMME owner can expand his or her business to include more service contracts.
Meganika’s gasifier converts waste wood into renewable energy in the form of electricity and heat.
The Gasifiers default configuration is for electricity output, there is additionally large amounts of excess heat available from the machine which can be collected if the client has a use for it (e.g. water or space heating).
Current Development Level
Business Case Calculations
- Sizing and Benefit Calculation for Gasifier Rental
- Sizing and Benefit Calculation for Gasifier Purchase
Is a Meganika Gasifier for you?
Meganika’s Gasifier is specifically targeted to businesses who have waste wood and a use for electricity.
For the best benefit to be realised from the gasifier technology it is best to have a use for the electricity that is produced by the gasifier. If the client has a use for the heat that is generated in the process the returns will be even greater.
The ideal customer produces between 5 and 45 tons of waste wood per month.
Meganika’s gasifier is well suited to treat difficult waste wood types such as MDF, Melamine and Chipboard. The gasification process breaks down the harmful substances in these waste types, and expels them in the ash.
The use of the Meganika gasifier will reduce the traditional waste disposal costs by up to 90%.
What is the problem with just disposing of waste wood in landfill?
Waste streams are an economic and environmental headaches to most (production) businesses.
The economic value of waste streams are “lost” as they are dumped into landfill. The dumped waste is likely a raw material that was paid for and is now giving no economic return.
Traditional waste-removal methods and waste management systems are becoming more expensive, problematic, and environmentally unacceptable.
Landfills in the large metropolitans are under enormous pressure and major new constraints and costs are expected in the next 3-10 years as landfills reach end of life and as organic substances are banned from landfill.
What feedstock (waste) can be processed in a gasifier?
Meganika are currently carrying out test work on the following wood based feed stock (waste wood): MDF, Wood, Saw Dust, Chip Board, Plywood, etc.
There has been much research carried out in academic circles on other feedstocks (wastes) that can be processed by a gasifier, Meganika will conduct tests on these as the need arises: Coals, Oils, Petroleum Coke, Municipal Sewage Sludge/Cake, Paper, Peat, Lignite, Tyres, Other Biomass and Crop Residues
What does the gasifier actually do?
In simple terms a thermal process breaks wood up, producing syngas (Synthesis Gas). The syngas is cleaned, cooled and dried in a gas conditioning system. The syngas then fuels a standard petrol or slightly modified diesel engine. The engine drives an electricity generator, which produces electricity for your use. Large amounts of excess heat can also be utilized if there is a use for it.
How much energy does the gasifier produce?
One kilogram of wood can produce up to 0,75kWh of energy in the gasifier. This roughly translates to four tons of wood per month being able to power an industrial application that is four times the size of the average household for a month. This is just for illustrative purposes as the Meganika gasifier is not suitable for home use. The smallest Meganika gasifier requires four tons of wood per month to operate.
Why choose a Meganika Gasifier
- Environmentally Responsible
- Ideal for Difficult Wastes (MDF)
- Green/Sustainability Agendas
- Self Generation Electricity provided
Intellectual Property (patented)
- Continuous combustion control
- Advanced electrostatic cleaning of gas
Unique Value Proposition
- Zero risk and zero entry cost to customer (rental option)
- Partnership with Waste Management Company in place
- Small Scale Plants are fast and cheap to roll-out – 25KW unit
Legislative Environmental Imperatives
- Pending legislation no landfilling of carbon waste
- Pressure on waste producers (e.g. sawmills) to be green
Aligned with social economic imperatives in SA
- 1-2 permanent jobs per plant placed
- SMME owner/operator creation
Frequently Asked Questions
Power generation equipment
How will this equipment be connected to my business?
As part of Meganika Equipment installation and commissioning the 400V 3-phase generator will be connected to your businesses 3-phase supply circuit using industry standard 3-phase control and protection equipment.
The electrical connection will be certified by an electrician and a certificate of completion (COC) will be issued.
Can I still use Eskom power?
The gasifier generator is designed as supplementary power to your existing electrical connection (they operate in parallel). Therefore, Eskom power will be available as usual, for example, when the Meganika gasifier is down for a maintenance check.
Can I connect this gasifier to my business or home?
The gasifier is sized to meet a power requirement of a minimum power rating of 25Kw, and depending on how many hours it runs per day, this is equivalent to around 5 average households power requirement over a month. Therefor this equipment is not normally intended for home use, but is best suited for business use.
Can I generate electricity for neighbouring businesses?
In South Africa, it is currently not legal to sell electricity onto the grid for others to buy without a generating and/or distribution licence. Self-generation own-use is allowed, with registration, up to a capacity of 1000 KW. Our current range of gasifiers, 25,50 and 75KW gasifiers are thus not suitably sized for application to be licenced as generators. The electricity generation is for self- use only.
Please contact us for a demonstration of the business model for your particular business case.
What if I have a larger requirement than is currently catered for?
The gasifiers are modular and thus multiple units can be installed in parallel. The installed capacity must match the availability of waste material.
Is there only certain waste that can be handled? Can you process my waste?
Meganika are currently specifically targeting (engineered) woody wastes. Meganika have specifically tested MDF and Chipboard.
All carbon-based (combustible) wastes are theoretically gasifiable. The efficiency of the specific feedstock would have to be determined in our lab. Gasification is ideal for carbon containing wastes that are relatively dry, less than 20% moisture content.
There is a possibility of using process heat to pre-dry any feed material with higher moisture content.
What if my waste is contaminated with chemicals?
The thermal process breaks down many harmful chemicals, this leads to it being ideal to deal with otherwise difficult waste streams. There are however some chemical contaminants that are not suitable for gasification (e.g. wood contaminated with chlorine-containing compounds, such as PVC, or CCA-treated wood). Please contact us with specifics about your waste type and its contaminants.
How much wood do I need to operate this machine?
The gasifier has a proven (minimum sustainable) business case when more than 5 tons of waste wood is available per month. However, there are many factors influencing the affordability of this equipment, so please contact us for an evaluation of your specific business case. For office hour operation, a 25KW unit consumes about 5 tons per month of waste wood.
Will this machine emit harmful gases?
Meganika’s gasifier consists of a gasification unit, and a generating unit. The gasification unit will be environmentally certified and will not emit any harmful gases. The syngas produced by the gasifier consists mainly of carbon monoxide and hydrogen, which exit the generator as water and carbon dioxide when burnt in the generator. The exhaust gas of the generator is thus of a high standard and will also be passed through a standard exhaust catalytic converter.
What does this machine emit to the environment?
The gasifiers generator emits carbon dioxide and water vapour to the environment. The gasifier module also has an ash outlet and a water outlet. The water will be of a standard to be disposed of in a municipal waste water system, while the ash has a potential to be used as fertiliser, or alternatively landfilled.
Machine operation, maintenance and warranty
How safe is this machine to operate?
The gasifier has been developed with safety as a priority. All safety aspects will be covered in operator training. Any personal protective equipment required will be specified.
The gasifier is designed in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act of South Africa, and specifically with the General Machinery Regulations.
How easy is it to operate this machine?
The gasifier is highly automated and requires limited operator supervision only. The operator will be trained on the operation and basic maintenance of the machine during the installation and commissioning of the gasifier.
The gasifier will be (on-line) remotely monitored for peace of mind, and any alarms will trigger an intervention from Meganika to assure a high reliability of the gasifier.
How easy is it to maintain this machine?
A full maintenance manual with critical spares list will be provided with the purchase of the gasifier.
The gasifier will be remotely monitored and maintenance tasks will be scheduled based on operating hours. Wear items will be monitored for any additional maintenance requirements. Basic maintenance tasks will be undertaken by the operator. The performance of these tasks is part of the operator training program. The major service and maintenance tasks will be undertaken by Meganika personnel on a call out basis when required.
How expensive is maintenance?
The gasifier has been designed specifically for affordable operation, including maintenance tasks. The cost of maintenance is built into the financial models for the purchase or hiring of this equipment.
Please contact us so that we can run the financial sustainability business model for your specific business needs.
How much space do I need to install this machine at my works?
The machine fits into a rectangular floor space of 4m x 3m. There is some walkway space required around the machine for operation and maintenance. The orientation and site conditions of the machine will dictate the exact walkway space requirements.
Does the gasifier come with a warranty?
The gasifier comes with a 5-year warranty on non-wear items. The wear items will be clearly stipulated in the maintenance manual.
Please contact us if you would like further information on the maintenance requirements of the gasifier.
Does the gasifier come with a service plan?
The servicing of the gasifier can be covered by a service plan, or by a pay-per-service model, whichever is preferred by the client. Some service requirements can even be carried out by the operator if this is preferred by the customer. The service requirement will be monitored by online remote monitoring.
What is the lead time on the gasifier?
The Gasifier lead time will be 6 weeks from placement of order.
Can I see a demonstration of the gasifier?
Meganika are installing a gasifier for testing and demonstration purposes at a partner facility. You are most welcome to view the operation of the gasifier.
Please contact us to see the operation of the gasifier.
When will the gasifier be available to the market?
The gasifier will launch to the public in quarter 3 of 2018. In the meantime, please contact us for a demonstration of the technology or for us to run the financial sustainability business model for your specific business needs.